We have stayed in a DoubleTree hotels recently and they always give you on check in the most incredible nutty chocolate oak cookie! (They actually give you extra if you ask, which we may have done a few times!) They are the best cookies that I have ever had!
We did some research online and tried and tested a few recipes and came up with this one which comes out as a very close copy to the hotel ones!
230g of unsalted softened butter
100g of granulated sugar
200g of brown sugar
30g of rolled oats
95g of chopped walnuts
150g of dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
2 medium eggs
2 tsp of vanilla extract
250g of plain flour
1 1/2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line / grease a large baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, both sugars and vanilla extract. Mix together either by hand or with an electric whisk until light and fluffy (prepare for arm ache if doing it by hand!)
- Add the eggs one by one and keep mixing until the mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gradually stir the mixture into the butter-sugar mixture. Fold in the oats, then the chocolate chunks and chopped walnuts.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon out large balls of dough, placing them on the tray about 2 inches apart from each other…they grow!
- Cook in oven for around for 15-18 minutes, you want it to still be a bit soft as will harden more as they cool!
When making the mixture, if you do not want to use it all at once, scoop out the mixture you want to bake and then roll the rest of the mixture into a sausage shape, wrap in cling film and freeze. This way you will be left with ready to go cookie dough, so if you have people coming over, all you need to do is cut about 1cm circles, place on baking tray and cook for 15 minutes! We always have some in the freezer, makes the perfect treat that is super quick and easy when we are needing a chocolate fix!